A livable city in Zhuhai Free Trade Zone
Zhuhai R&D Headquarter
Location: Zhuhai, China
Program: 120.000 m2 architectural design
The Zhuhai Free Trade Zone plays a unique role as a coastal port area, because of its integration of industrial and urban functions, the development of finance areas and its high standards of planning and construction.
The R&D Headquarter will be the first building to be built in the Zhuhai Free Trade Zone. Therefore it will set the standard for the rest of the development. It is an high-end International Business development that incorporates supporting commercial activities and residential functions through its serviced apartments. Our design follows these four simple design principles:
- FLEXIBILITY – to accommodate the diversity of user’s needs.
- FUNCTIONALITY – to maximize the efficiency of the working space.
- ATTRACTIVENESS – to increase the economic value of the investment.
- SUSTAINABILITY – to adapt to Zhuhai’s subtropical climate
The inspiration for the architecture comes from the scenic mountainous areas in Southern China. These unique rock formations seem to pierce the forest and stand out against the sky. The distinctive color of the sandstone and its horizontal erosion lines are only interrupted by sparse vegetation on the few flat surfaces that draw green rings around the rocks. Rivers and waterfall are common at the base of these natural wonders.
- 2017 competition design completed
- 2018 commission, detailed design
International competition 1st price